directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Replication & activeMQ
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 15:42:41 GMT
Hi guys,

currently, we are using ActiveMQ to store the modifications we send to
the client. This leads to an issue caused by the way we have configured
it, simply because all the mods are stored in memory, and never removed.

Obviously, this is bad.

Thinking about it, my opinion is that it's may be a bit overkilling
considering our need :
- when a mod is made on the provider, it has to be sent to the consumer
- in any case, we store the mod in a file associated with the consumer
- we send the mod to the consumer unless we *know* that the consumer is
offline
- we will have no way to be sure that the consumer has correctly
received the mod
- when a consumer gets online again, it will send a cookie with the last
CSN it received
- in this case, we have to get all the mods from the file, and send the
mods to the consumer.

Now, we already are saving the mods in a file, in the
JournalInterceptor. We just have to implement the recovery system (ie,
finding the last entry sent from the file) and send all the following
entries. Then we can delete all the entries older than the requested one.

I don't think that using our own implementation would be an issue here.
I mean, ActiveMQ is a great piece of software, but having to go through
tends of options (hundreds?), most of which are totally useless in our
case, is a bit overkilling for this version.

thoughts ?

--
Regards,
Cordialement,