directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <>
Subject Re: [Shared] DN value for schema modification entry
Date Thu, 07 Jul 2011 17:04:49 GMT
On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <> wrote:
> On 7 juil. 2011, at 11:37, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 7, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <> wrote:
>>> Is this modifications storing feature even working?
>>> From what I've seen in the code, it looks more like a placeholder and the
>>> feature is still waiting for implementation...
>>> I couldn't find where Studio was depending on it, Kiran. Can you give me
>>> some pointers, please?
>> I remember Seelmann mentioning on ML that studio depends on this DN to
>> update the cached schema, but this
>> feature is not working due to an issue on server ( I believe it was
>> working at one point of time but was broken later)
> AFAIR, the cached schema of a connection in the LDAP Browser plugin is read from the
DN provided via the 'subschemaSubentry' AT of the RootDSE entry.
> I looked in my ML mails archive but couldn't find a related discussion about the usage
of "cn=schemaModifications,ou=schema" in that area.

Yes, that's true. This mechanism also works with other directory servers.

> Anyways, it might be a good time to do this as you mentioned.
> IMO, it shouldn't have a huge impact on Studio.

Well, I think it has because my blind guess is that the
modifyTimestamp of the subschemaSubentry is directly derived from the
"cn=schemaModifications,ou=schema" entry.

Kind Regards,

View raw message