directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1149683 [1/2] - in /directory/apacheds/trunk: core-annotations/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/server/core/factory/ core-api/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/server/core/ core-api/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/server/core/e
Date Sat, 23 Jul 2011 10:47:08 GMT
On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 1:42 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/23/11 12:32 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 9:28 PM,<elecharny@apache.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Author: elecharny
>>> Date: Fri Jul 22 18:28:27 2011
>>> New Revision: 1149683

>>> Log:
>>> o Get rid of the SchemaService class : it still exists, but all the
>>> remaining methods are static (we don't need anymore to have a schemaService
>>> instance in the DirectoryService)
>>
>> OK I see now. Please ignore my last post regarding whether or not we
>> removed this interface. I now recall our conversation regarding
>> getting rid of this service. The SchemaManager basically should handle
>> it all. Will be nice to even get rid of these static methods.
>
> Well, I thought about moving those methods to SchemaManager, but it's deeply
> coupled with the DirectoryService. And as the SchemaManager is part of the
> LDAP API, we can't create such a link.

Ahh yes this is where we have a balancing act and probably one of the
drivers that made us separate these two.

> Another thougth I had was to move all the methods to DS, but I thought that
> would make this class a big fat boy, so I kept it as a standalone helper
> class.

Yeah sounds best as a utility class. Perhaps then we should just do
away with the misnomer of SchemaService and name it something more
appropriate.

> I still have to check if we can make some further improvement in this area
> (for instance, the Dao stuff might be reviewed too).

Right. I have some ideas on this stuff. I'd like to touch base and
discuss these details towards the tail end of this coming week.

Best Regards,
-- Alex