directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE][RESULTS] Should we merge the DIRSHARED and DIRAPI spaces in JIRA into a single one?
Date Wed, 06 Jul 2011 07:19:33 GMT
On 5 juil. 2011, at 22:53, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/5/11 11:47 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>>>
>>> Just to be clear before I make the changes.
>>>
>>> Should I merge DIRSHARED into DIRAPI ? or DIRAPI into DIRSHARED?
>>>
>>> My choice would be the first option, as Shared is becoming the API.
>>> What's yours?
>>
>> DIRAPI is way better, IMHO.
>
> I suggest the opposite because of the investment that has gone into
> references for DIRSHARED. And at the end of the day it's still shared
> stuff across both main projects, studio and the server. There are more
> things that will go into this down the line besides LDAP. If we
> release later we can release just parts of it instead of the whole
> thing: meaning just the ldap api.
>
> We can still restructure but we're going to unsettle some references
> we've put even into the code around these issues from the past. If
> you're find with doing away with it then I can live with it but we
> will lose more.

Hi Alex,

I understand your point but hopefully JIRA is pretty well built and manages to keep references
perfectly.

Have a look a recent issue a user created in a wrong JIRA project, DIRSERVER-1630.
It has been created in the DIRSERVER project but I moved it later to DIRAPI, since the issue
was related to the LDAP API instead.
During the move of the issue JIRA gave a new ID to the issue in the DIRAPI project, DIRAPI-47.
The old ID is still valid and the JIRA link https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-1630
now redirects to the new issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRAPI-47
Lastly, in the Activity section of the issue ('All' sub-section selected), the move has been
registered with both origin and destination values (project, version).

So, as you see, I'm not really sure we're going to loose anything in the migration...

The only thing we'd probably want to do is to create new versions in the DIRAPI project matching
all versions of the DIRSHARED project.
Maybe with a prefix, to avoid any misunderstanding.
0.9.19 in the DIRSHARED project would then become shared-0.9.19 in the DIRAPI project.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud