directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Another thought about Partition
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 18:09:41 GMT
Hi,

today, we had a convo with Pierre-Arnaud, about the current Partition
implementation. As I was done with the Store cleaning, I tried to
explain the existing Partition hierarchy, and their relation with the
stores.

At some point we do think that there is something which need to be
reviewed : partitions are way too tainted by the underlying storage. For
instance, we only have two kind of storage atm (JDBM and AVL), and no
LDIF storage at all. But we have a LDIF partition, which manage a LDIF
file on disk. This is not the best solution : we should rather define a
LdifStore in charge of this LDIF files.

Base line, we should keep the Partition as minimal as possible, and
associate them with a dedicated Store, which can be substituted at will.
The SchemaPartition should also be reviewed : the associated Store can
handle the Registries and the underlying LDIF files. We may not need a
NullPartition.

Comments are welcomed.

--
Regards,