directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Values normalization and special characters
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 06:56:50 GMT
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@apache.org> wrote:
> On 6/7/11 8:26 AM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 8:09 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny<elecharny@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I'm a bit deeper into the DN/RDN problem. Now, the issue I have is that I
>>> don't know how we should handle shuch case :
>>> - an AT like "cn: \ user" having an escaped space at the beginning.
>>> - an entry which DN is "cn=\ user,ou=system"
>>>
>>> The check is done internally comparing the RDN ("cn=\ user") and the
>>> Attribute value. Sadly, when we parse the DN, we remove the '\' (as it's
>>> not
>>> significant), keeping the leading space. But then, we normalize the RDN
>>> applying the CN normalizer to it, which removes the leading space.
>>
>> Here we should not compare the RDN and the attribute value. Instead
>> the RDN's AVA value need to be used for comparison. The RDN AVA value
>> should not contain the '\'.
>
> It does not contain the '\', but the space is also stripped. So "cn: \ User"
> is internally transformed into an AVA containing "user" as a value (the \
> and the space are removed after the value normalization...

Yes, that sounds ok. But the space should also be removed from the
attribute value during normalization, so the normalized attribute
value should also be "user".

Is the space removed from both, the normalized value and user provided
value? It should only be removed from the normalized value.

Kind Regards,
Stefan