directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Morning thoughts about alias handling...
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:16:08 GMT
On 16 juin 2011, at 13:00, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> so I slept on the problem, and here are a few thoughts I had this morning :
>> - first, the alias handling can't be done in the doSimpleSearch() as I
>> thought, because if we do so, alias dereferencing won't be handled when
>> using the coreSession. It must be handled by the EntryFilteringCursor.
>> Remains to see how to implement that there.
>> - second, we may have some issue when an alias points to a non existing
>> entry. What will the cursor.next() return in this case ? The alias exists,
>> so the cursor.next() will move forward, to something that does not exist
>> (this is a Pierre-Arnaud thought).
> hmm, if the aliased entry doesn't exist the cursor shouldn't move forward

Yeah, what I meant in our face to face discussion with Emmanuel was that if you're calling
the cursor.next() method after all standard entries have already been processed, it should
not return true only because the next entry to process is an alias.
It should at least verify that this target entry pointed by the alias really exists.
This is to prevent a situation where the cursor.next() method would return true (based on
the fact that we have an alias without checking if the pointed alias entry exists) and, then
a call to the cursor.get() method could return <null> (if the pointed alias entry actually
does not exist).

I hope it clarifies a little bit.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud