directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Support for Transactions
Date Wed, 29 Jun 2011 11:19:03 GMT
On 6/29/11 1:06 PM, Rajesh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I believe that Partitions does not support transactions as of now.

They don't.
> Is there
> any plan for implementing Transactions on JDBM Partition?
No, not really. At least, not now.

> If I want to add that fuctionality, what do I need to know?
Yu need to know that it's really a complex issue, and that it impacts
the whole server. Plus I think that many people are confusing RDBMS
transactions with what a LDAP transaction can be. ATM, you have at least
one guarantee : a modification in ADS (be it an addition, deletion,
modification, rename or move) is guaranteed to be done in a ACID way.

The only missing aspect is that modifications done on more than one
entry is not considered as guaranteed to be eithe rall done or all
rollbacked. There is a recent RFC (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5805)
which stipulates how it should work, but says nothing about the
implementation.

I'm not sure that any LDAP server implements usch transaction atm, and
I'm quite sure that those who claim to implement transactions just
guarantee that atomic modifications are ACID. But I may be wrong.

The most advanced peeps around in this area should be the OpenLDAP guys.
Howard ?

--
Regards,
Cordialement,