directory-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Chu <...@symas.com>
Subject Re: Alias cycle detection
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:12:01 GMT
Ludovic Poitou wrote:
> Sun Directory Server, OpenDS, OpenDJ, Port 389 (formerly known as Fedora
> Directory) at least, do not support Alias dereferencing because the complexity
> out-weights the benefits, and very few client applications make use of it anyway.
>
> My 2 cents.

We had no alias support in back-bdb originally; I added it back in 2003.

Indeed, you only need to track all of the alias entries that you hit, and
that's typically a small number. Each new entry defines a new search scope.
Any time a dereference leads to an entry that resides anywhere within your
already-known search scopes that deref can be considered fully resolved,
because the result was already part of the scope.

It's actually quite simple and quite fast. Using the objectclass index it's
trivial to obtain the list of all alias entries within the database, so from
the outset you already know the maximum size of what you're dealing with.

And just to remind, alias deref is a 2-bit option - deref base of the search,
and deref (the rest of the search). They're selected independently.

--
   -- Howard Chu