directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Values normalization and special characters
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2011 06:09:51 GMT
Hi guys,

I'm a bit deeper into the DN/RDN problem. Now, the issue I have is that
I don't know how we should handle shuch case :
- an AT like "cn: \ user" having an escaped space at the beginning.
- an entry which DN is "cn=\ user,ou=system"

The check is done internally comparing the RDN ("cn=\ user") and the
Attribute value. Sadly, when we parse the DN, we remove the '\' (as it's
not significant), keeping the leading space. But then, we normalize the
RDN applying the CN normalizer to it, which removes the leading space.

At this point, we are in a dead end... Either we keep the '\' in the
RDN, but that would make the comparison complex, or we consider that
escaped spaces are just insignificant, but we breach the RFC. However,
leading spaces and trailing spaces are most certainly not useful, so
breaking the RFC would be acceptable, IMO.

Do you have any better idea ?

Note : there is no place in the RFC where we are told how to manage
attribute values with escaped chars... (still have to check though...)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,