directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1129630 - /directory/apacheds/trunk/server-integ/src/test/java/org/apache/directory/server/replication/ClientServerReplicationIT.java
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 06:41:17 GMT
On 6/3/11 8:27 AM, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Alex Karasulu<akarasulu@apache.org>  wrote:
>> This did not make it to the list. --Alex
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Alex Karasulu<akarasulu@apache.org>  wrote:
>>> Is there any way we can avoid using timing dependent code like these sleep calls?
Can't we enable a feedback mechanism where setting some variable drives controlling this process?
> this test like many other integration tests involves a running
> server(s) in network mode and the scenario under testing is highly
> time bound, i.e there
> *will* be delays before the data gets replicated and the test has to
> be written based on the reasonable time limit.
> Though not straight forward, feedback based mechanism can be added but
> that requires a lot of scaffolding based on persistent search/event
> listeners
I also think that it is unfortunate, but basically replication tests are
tome based.

However, we *must* make those tests independant from the functional
tests, otherwise we won't be able to do regression tests before committing.

OpenLDAP have a separate part where they do replication tests (the very
same way : they are all time based).

We already shortly discussed with Kiran (well, discussing is a gross
exgeration, we had a short IM interaction last week as a test was
failing) and we agreed that we should define a specific profile (maven
profile) to run replication tests.

IMO, this is the only possible path...

thoughts ?

--