directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Rajesh Akkineni" <>
Subject Re: Some basic question
Date Thu, 12 May 2011 09:51:09 GMT
Hi Emmanuel,

Thank you for quick answers...

>> 4) When do Normalizers get called? LDAP v3 RFC is not talking anything
>> about normalization.
> Normalizers are used because we need to compare values, and some AT are
> case insensitive, or spaces aren't meaningful, so we have to 'normalize'
> those values to ease the comparison task.

Do these comparisons are done only on SearchOperation? If Yes, When we
need to save normalized values fist of all. Why can not we do it in the
Comparator itself?

>> 5) Numeric, Boolean values are stored as strings in store? If Yes, Why?
>> Will it not be optimal to store them in more compact form?
> The Boolean value is supposed o be TRUE or FALSE, nothing else (upper
> case). Numeric values are not defined as bounded values.
> In general, LDAP is about manipulating Strings, so such an optimization
> would be totally useless.

So, If I need to do some kind of storage optimization, I can implement my
own subclasses of Value and implement my own externalization logic?
And it should not cause much problem to existing code, right?

> Hope it helps.

Rajesh Akkineni
CEO, Vimukti Technologies,
Phone: +91-9989696514