directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OSGi startup and shutdown problems
Date Tue, 10 May 2011 12:57:43 GMT
On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 5:27 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> following the bug opened by Daniel Fisher
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSHARED-125), I think we need to
> modify the way we use OSGi and Felix in shared.
>
> Right now, if the user has already an OSGi container running, we use it.
> Otherwise, we start Felix in StandaloneLdapCodecService (which, by the way,
> is not the right place to do that).
>
> What we should do is to ask for users not having an external OSGi container
> running and who want to extend the API to explicitely start Felix, instead
> of starting it ourselves.
>
> That leads to have three different working modes :
> 1) external OSGi container
> 2) no OSGi container at all
+1 to not start the container at all by default, cause in 99% cases
all we need is just opening a connection for performing either bind or
compare (think of a mail serrver authenticating users)
and frankly, I find it weird that the API used in a client starts a
container service by default!

--
Kiran Ayyagari