directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Monolithic jar .v. separate jars
Date Fri, 13 May 2011 15:07:37 GMT
On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Richard Evans
<richard.evans@datanomic.com> wrote:
> I've been experimenting with the trunk version of ApacheDS recently, building from the
checked out code.  I run it from the snapshot .tar.gz target.  This has a single monolithic
service jar containing all the classes.

> This approach is very convenient for standalone installs, but may cause problems if we
decide to embed ApacheDS in our application.  We already use much of the support stuff in
the jar - servlet apis, slf4j, ActiveMQ classes, etc - and I want to make sure the we get
the right versions.

> Is it is possible to make a build with separate jars?  And (really fantastic) some guidelines
as to which jars are required for various configurations?  For example if I wish to embed
an LDAP server (no Kerberos, NTP, etc), which ApacheDS jars are required and which external
jars (and versions) are required?

yeap, this is perfectly possible, if you use maven in your project
then I would say it becomes even more easier.
if you want to use LDAP server alone, then just add a dependency element like

    <dependency>
      <groupId>org.apache.directory.server</groupId>
      <artifactId>apacheds-protocol-ldap</artifactId>
      <version>1.5.8-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </dependency>

--
Kiran Ayyagari