directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [LDAP API] Codec extension mechanism direction (WAS: Re: OSGi startup and shutdown problems)
Date Wed, 11 May 2011 16:46:22 GMT
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 5/11/11 5:35 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> Hi dev peeps,
>>
>> So after a long thread I just wanted to summarize the realizations and
>> conclusions so we can set a clear direction for managing the codec
>> extension
>> mechanism. I created a separate clean thread for this here with
>> Guillaume's
>> core recommendation following.
>>
>> For the sake of speed I will define a direction and people can opine:
>>
>> 1). Expose a means in the LDAP API (really SPI) to have codec extensions
>> programmatically registered. I this already exists.
>>

> +1
>
>  2). Remove the standalone codec factory implementation that starts up
>> Felix.
>>

> Ok, that would be a relief.
>
>  3). Add a simple ClassLoader component to be used in standalone mode to
>> load
>> the plugin classes (from the plugin bundles defaulting to regular jars
>> presumed to be on the classpath). Some configuration information drives
>> how
>> this component discovers what plugin classes to attempt to class load.
>>
> Ok, fine.
>
>  4). Set it up so by default, the LDAP API uses the simple ClassLoader
>> based
>> discover/load/register mechanism. In an OSGi environment this is disabled
>> enable plugins to self register.
>>
> Ok.
>
>  This should serious remove some ugly and dangerous code we've got at this
>> point in the LDAP API.
>>
> Absolutely.
>
> Question : are we sure that teh API will continue to work in Studio, using
> Equinox ? And are we sure we will be able to have felix started in ApacheDS
> ?

Actually I think it is using equinox at the present moment. If I remember
correctly we're not using the standalone mechanism when in the eclipse
environment. PAM I think found a way to get the bundle loaded under eclipse
OSGi (a.k.a. equinox). Might want to get confirmation from PAM though.

> That raises another related issue for ADS : what if an application is
> already using an OSGi framework and wants to embed ADS ?

That's not a problem since basically they can load just the bundles. We can
carry ApacheDS with installers inside Karaf with our standalone
distribution. Those loading ADS into an existing environment need only issue
a load from the bundle repository. I think there's some magic there making
your local maven repository into an OSGi bundle repository. I wonder if
Karaf knows how to pull bundles down too from remote repositories, I bet
Guillaume can answer that :).

Regards,
Alex