directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How the Dn of Child entries are updating when Parent Moved
Date Tue, 17 May 2011 12:03:49 GMT
On 5/17/11 1:56 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny<elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On 5/17/11 1:01 PM, Richard Evans wrote:
>>
>>> Related to this, is there any mechanism for automatically updating the
>>> member value of a group (eg groupOfNames) if the DN of the member changes?
>>>
>> No, not yet. We need to add a mechanism allowing such an update.
>
>   The best way for use to handle this is not to create a specific mechanism
> for this but to use triggers and stored procedures to manage referential
> integrity in general.

This was my first idea, but I think in this specific case, it would be a
bit complex to manage : a memberof attributeType has references to many
potential DNs, and as SP are only activated when a modification occurs,
it would have to check all the places in the server which potentially
holds a memberOf attribute and control if it contains one of the moved
entry's DN.

Instead of what having a computed memberOf AttributeType would easily
solve the problem: you keep a reference to the entry, and rebuild the DN
on the fly.

Note that with a SP, we could do the exact same thing except that we
don't execute a SP when processing search requests...

The best solution would of course to have a SP which is associated with
the entry containing the memberOf, and does the lookup (a computed
memberOf attribute, sort of)

--
Regards,
Cordialement,