directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject OSGi startup and shutdown problems
Date Tue, 10 May 2011 11:57:20 GMT
Hi guys,

following the bug opened by Daniel Fisher
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSHARED-125), I think we need
to modify the way we use OSGi and Felix in shared.

Right now, if the user has already an OSGi container running, we use it.
Otherwise, we start Felix in StandaloneLdapCodecService (which, by the
way, is not the right place to do that).

What we should do is to ask for users not having an external OSGi
container running and who want to extend the API to explicitely start
Felix, instead of starting it ourselves.

That leads to have three different working modes :
1) external OSGi container
2) no OSGi container at all
3) Internal Felix, explicitely started and stopped.

Assuming that right now we are using Felix to load the extensions, this
should be a way to go for those who don't need all those extensions.

Otherwise, we have to provide a way to shutdown Felix when getting out
of our program the normal way (ie, without calling System.exit() )

Anyone has a better idea ?

--
Regards,
Cordialement,