On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 1:09 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@apache.org> wrote:
On 4/24/11 11:48 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
Hi Emmanuel,

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny<elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

Hi,

while checking the CascadeControl, I'm wondering f we use it at all in the
server. I'm not sure either about its semantic.

Alex, some insight maybe ?

Wow this one is really old. From what hazy memory I have of it, this control
is a marker control. It has no payload from what I remember.

The idea that drove creating it was to be able to issue subtree deletes. I
don't remember if there is an RFC or like minded control to do the same.
Have not checked. Don't remember if we even looked.

At some point PAM and I had some conversations about how to be able to
manage some schema operations and cascade deletes had come up but I don't
remember them now.

I don't think the control is being used, if even referenced it might have
just had some scaffolding setup for it without actual use.

AFAICT, it's only propagated to the schema handling part, and even there, it's not used.

If it has to be the treeDelete control, then I suggest we rename it and modify the way we handle it in the server. Many LDAP server implement this treeDelete control (a draft issued by M$ peeps back in 2000), may be we should have it...

+1 to following an exiting control defined in a draft or RFC rather than creating our own crap.

Regards,
Alex