directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cascade control : is it still usdeful ?
Date Sun, 24 Apr 2011 09:48:19 GMT
Hi Emmanuel,

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while checking the CascadeControl, I'm wondering f we use it at all in the
> server. I'm not sure either about its semantic.
>
> Alex, some insight maybe ?

Wow this one is really old. From what hazy memory I have of it, this control
is a marker control. It has no payload from what I remember.

The idea that drove creating it was to be able to issue subtree deletes. I
don't remember if there is an RFC or like minded control to do the same.
Have not checked. Don't remember if we even looked.

At some point PAM and I had some conversations about how to be able to
manage some schema operations and cascade deletes had come up but I don't
remember them now.

I don't think the control is being used, if even referenced it might have
just had some scaffolding setup for it without actual use.

HTH,
Alex