directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <kayyag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1095083 - in /directory/apacheds/trunk: core-api/ core-api/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/server/core/ppolicy/ core/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/server/core/authn/
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2011 18:07:23 GMT
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> As a second thought, it's not *that* easy.
>
> The PPolicy does not belongs to core-api, that's granted, but in fact, it's
> around for more than one year.
>
> Here is what I suggest :
> - first, I would keep the current commit there. Reverting would harm the
> feature, and it does not buy time
> - second, and this is critical, we have to create a JIRA about moving this
> part of the code out of the API
> - third, as soon as we get a 1.0.0-M3 release (ie, at the end of this week
> if all goes well), we can start thinking about how to get rid of PPolicy
> code in core-api, to move it to core
>
> The interaction with the authn interceptor is huge, and I think at some
> point, we also have some interaction with the DirectoryService (config,
> etc).
>
> What I mean is that it's not a sudden mess, it's growing for more than one
> year, and we just realized that now.
>
> Time to cleanup !
>
> thoughts ?
>

> On 4/19/11 4:29 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:

Thanks for reporting this, am not aware of and didn't realize that the
dependency I have added has so many hidden issues

>>> This can most certainly be put in core, not in core-api. Core-api is only
>>> supposed to expose what is necessary to create the server, it's not supposed
>>> to contain any impl.
>>
>> Yeah, OK.
>> I see the point. You're right.
>> Core is probably a better place.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pierre-Arnaud
>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Cordialement,
>>> Emmanuel L├ęcharny
>>> www.iktek.com
>>>

> --
> Regards,
> Cordialement,
> Emmanuel L├ęcharny
> www.iktek.com

let me describe the rationale behind keeping the code in core-api
(back then this was called 'core' and the ppolicy config class was
added almost an year ago, what I did today was just moving a few other
classes back at this place)

The DirectoryService(DS) is the object which is accessible from most
of the core so it was a natural choice by design to keep the ppolicy
config
inside DS cause it is easy to inject during initialization and can be
accessed from several places (in our case we need to access it
from AuthenticationInterceptor and AbstractAuthenticator).  A server
can support more than one ppolicy so the container of these policies
is also
maintained in the DS.

One alternative to the above is to use AuthenticationInterceptor to
hold the ppolicy config, but in my view that is not the best place of
choice.

So my decision back then was purely based on these facts, not merely
an act of thoughtless dumping of few object references in DS just
because it was there.

Having said that, if people think that this commit should be reverted
have no problem in doing that.

--
Kiran Ayyagari