directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Search result in LDAP API
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:08:09 GMT
On 4/28/11 6:28 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>> This is not an easy choice.
>>
>> The problme is that the user might be puzzled to see that a
>> LdapConnection.search( SearchRequest ) returns a cursor<SearchResponse>  but
>> that the LdapConnection.search( base, filter, scope, attrs... ) returns a
>> cursor<Entry>.
>>
>> Using send( Request ) instead first makes the API lighter (we don't have to
>> create one send() method per type of request, it can be hidden in the
>> LdapConnection class) and it's also for advanced users.
> Another idea: We have two interfaces: LdapConnection and
> LdapAsyncConnection. What about a third interface (e.g.
> AdvancedLdapConnection, need to find a better name) which extends
> LdapConnections. Then we can move all the methods for advanced users
> to this new interface. Then the LdapConnection interface is much
> smaller. We still can have a single LdapNetworkConnection class that
> implements all three interfaces.
>
> Thoughts?

Hmmm, that would be shitty... I tried to apply this modification on the
existing code, but sadly, we have two different implementations,
LdapCoreSessionConnection and LdapNetworkConnection. The first
implements LdapConnection, the second one implements LdapAsyncConnection.

Changing this would create a lot of problems...

Maybe we should keep it simple : search( SearchRequest ) returning a
SearchCursor for advanced users, and search( base, filter, scope,
attrs...) returning a Cursor<Entry> for normal users.

wdyt ?

--
Regards,
Cordialement,