directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Search result in LDAP API
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2011 15:39:13 GMT
I like Stefan's idea a lot, but there is something a bit confusing : if
a user tries to do a simple search, he will expect the
LdapConnection.search() to be the method to use. Having to use
LdapConnection.searchEntries() instead is a bit problematic.

What about transforming the LdapConnection.search( SearchRequest )
method to LdapConnection.send( SearchRequest ) (and the very same for
any complex request, using a Request instance) :
- LdapConnection.send( AddRequest ) but LdapConnection.add( Entry )
- LdapConnection.send( BindRequest ) but LdapConnection.bind( dn, password )
- LdapConnection.send( SearchRequest ) but Cursor<Entry>
LdapConnection.search( base, filter, scope, attrs...)
- ...

thoughts ?

On 4/28/11 5:04 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:

>>> Yes, but they return a XyzResponse (except for the search) and the
>>> user needs to check the response object to see if the operation was
>>> successful or not (please correct me if I'm wrong). I think that is
>>> not what 99% of the users expect.
>> Ahhh, right I see your point. Throwing an exception in case we had an error is way
better in these case, sure.
>>> So my idea of the "high-level" methods" is
>>> - they take high-level objects as arguments
>>> - the return type is void (for bind, unbind, add, modify, moddn,
>>> delete, abandon), boolean (for compare), Cursor<Entry>   (for search),
>>> not sure about extended
>>> - they throw an LdapException (or an appropriate sub-type) in case the
>>> result code is not 0
>> Makes perfect sense.
>>
>>> - we should add support for referral handling and search continuation
>>> (skip, chase, throw exception), not only for search, but also for the
>>> write methods, but that could be done later
>> Yeah, it can be done later.
>>> And the "low-level" methods:
>>> - take XyzRequest objects as single argument
>>> - they return an XyzResponse object (for bind, unbind, add, modify,
>>> moddn, delete, abandon, compare, extended) or a SearchCursor (for
>>> search)
>>> - the respose objects must be inspected to find out if the operation
>>> was sucessful or not, or if there was an referral/search continuation
>>>
>>> So for the existing search() method that would mean:
>>>
>>> SearchCursor search(SearchRequest searchRequest)
>>> ->   remains as is
>>>
>>> Cursor<Entry>   search(Dn baseDn, String filter, SearchScope scope,
>>> String... attributes)
>>> Cursor<Entry>   search(String baseDn, String filter, SearchScope scope,
>>> String... attributes)
>>> ->   return value changed, additional overloads to specify referral
>>> handling may be needed
>>> I just think a high-level and low-level API is required and try to
>>> find a consistent rule.
>> Ok, fine. If everybody agree, we can start refactoring the existing API to provide
such methods for 1.0.0-M4. Should not be complex.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,