directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cascade control : is it still usdeful ?
Date Sun, 24 Apr 2011 10:09:37 GMT
On 4/24/11 11:48 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny<elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> while checking the CascadeControl, I'm wondering f we use it at all in the
>> server. I'm not sure either about its semantic.
>>
>> Alex, some insight maybe ?
>>

> Wow this one is really old. From what hazy memory I have of it, this control
> is a marker control. It has no payload from what I remember.
>
> The idea that drove creating it was to be able to issue subtree deletes. I
> don't remember if there is an RFC or like minded control to do the same.
> Have not checked. Don't remember if we even looked.
>
> At some point PAM and I had some conversations about how to be able to
> manage some schema operations and cascade deletes had come up but I don't
> remember them now.
>
> I don't think the control is being used, if even referenced it might have
> just had some scaffolding setup for it without actual use.

AFAICT, it's only propagated to the schema handling part, and even
there, it's not used.

If it has to be the treeDelete control, then I suggest we rename it and
modify the way we handle it in the server. Many LDAP server implement
this treeDelete control (a draft issued by M$ peeps back in 2000), may
be we should have it...

--
Regards,
Cordialement,