directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1095083 - in /directory/apacheds/trunk: core-api/ core-api/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/server/core/ppolicy/ core/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/server/core/authn/
Date Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:22:14 GMT
As a second thought, it's not *that* easy.

The PPolicy does not belongs to core-api, that's granted, but in fact,
it's around for more than one year.

Here is what I suggest :
- first, I would keep the current commit there. Reverting would harm the
feature, and it does not buy time
- second, and this is critical, we have to create a JIRA about moving
this part of the code out of the API
- third, as soon as we get a 1.0.0-M3 release (ie, at the end of this
week if all goes well), we can start thinking about how to get rid of
PPolicy code in core-api, to move it to core

The interaction with the authn interceptor is huge, and I think at some
point, we also have some interaction with the DirectoryService (config,
etc).

What I mean is that it's not a sudden mess, it's growing for more than
one year, and we just realized that now.

Time to cleanup !

thoughts ?

On 4/19/11 4:29 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
> On 19 avr. 2011, at 16:21, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> On 4/19/11 4:18 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>>> Hi Alex,

loaded when needed as an extra rather than a core function of the server.
>>> I'm afraid, at the moment, there's no easy way to avoid putting it there and
having the dependency on the extras jar. We lack, in the server, the same kind of support
for extras you built in Shared.
>> This can most certainly be put in core, not in core-api. Core-api is only supposed
to expose what is necessary to create the server, it's not supposed to contain any impl.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,