directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: Search result in LDAP API
Date Thu, 28 Apr 2011 15:43:49 GMT
On 28 avr. 2011, at 17:39, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> I like Stefan's idea a lot, but there is something a bit confusing : if a user tries
to do a simple search, he will expect the LdapConnection.search() to be the method to use.
Having to use LdapConnection.searchEntries() instead is a bit problematic.

> What about transforming the LdapConnection.search( SearchRequest ) method to LdapConnection.send(
SearchRequest ) (and the very same for any complex request, using a Request instance) :
> - LdapConnection.send( AddRequest ) but LdapConnection.add( Entry )
> - LdapConnection.send( BindRequest ) but LdapConnection.bind( dn, password )
> - LdapConnection.send( SearchRequest ) but Cursor<Entry> LdapConnection.search(
base, filter, scope, attrs...)
> - ...
>
> thoughts ?

That's a good idea to guide users to the most obvious methods and draw a clear separation
between the high/low level APIs.
+1

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

> On 4/28/11 5:04 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:

are
>>> Ahhh, right I see your point. Throwing an exception in case we had an error is
way better in these case, sure.
>>> Makes perfect sense.

>>> Yeah, it can be done later.

>>> Ok, fine. If everybody agree, we can start refactoring the existing API to provide
such methods for 1.0.0-M4. Should not be complex.
>> ++1.
>> This sounds very good.
>> This is at the same time convenient and consistent, and provides methods for both
novice and experienced LDAP people.