On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Stefan Seelmann <mail@stefan-seelmann.de> wrote:
Should we consider to offer those as Google Summer of Code projects?

Yeah that's an option as well but why wait I thought. The API is coming along and I thought the input while using it could help us out to better enhance it.

But yes we should also list these projects in GSoC as well if no one takes em up.

Regards,
Alex

On Mar 1, 2011 2:59 PM, "Alex Karasulu" <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> <disclaimer>
> Please excuse the cross post to both dev and user mailing lists.
> </disclaimer>
>
> <marketing-mode-on/>
>
> If you're a lurker, and are interested in getting involved in the Apache
> Directory Project but just don't know what to work on. Here are some
> proposals that might interest you.
>

> (1) LDAP Web Administration and/or Self Service Application[s]
>
> What is it?
> --------------
>
> The name says it all. A simple web based (Servlet) administrative
> application which uses the new LDAP API to administer your own profile or
> the entire server.
>
> Purpose
> ------------
>
> We're breaking with JNDI and coming out with a new and modern LDAP API.
>
> We want to know how useful it is.
>
> We want to know if certain problems arise using it.
>
> We want general feedback to improve the API.
>
> We want a sample application that shows people how to use it and all its
> features.
>
> We want to grow community and to work with more cool peeps.
>
> This mini-project and those working on would achieve some of these aims.
>

> (2) LDAP Command Line Interface
>
> What is it?
>
> A main program that might be attached to an ldap-all jar as the java -jar
> executable with commands to execute the standard set of LDAP operations
like
> add, del, modify, modifyDn etc.
>
> Purpose
>
> Same purpose as in #1 plus we have something that we can ship with
ApacheDS