directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some few classes that are probably stored at the right place...
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:14:14 GMT
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net>wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> On 30 mars 2011, at 14:24, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net>wrote:
>
>> Hi Emmanuel,
>>
>> +1
>>
>> SearchScope could be in 'org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.model.message'.
>> LdapURL could in 'org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.model.url'.
>>
>> Shouldn't we also rename 'LdapURL' as 'LdapUrl' to match other class names
>> (like Dn, Rdn, Oid, etc.)?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Pierre-Arnaud
>>

> My same thoughts. LdapUrl should go into message pkg too though - why have
> an extra package with just one or two classes?
>

> Readability and longevity I guess.
> We might need to add more classes related to LdapUrl later, like an URL
> factory or more.
> Having this extra package ensures that we won't be tempted to move it
> afterwards, breaking compatibility in client applications.

This does make sense, the longevity argument. As you say who knows what else
will creep up around LdapUrl. OK I am on the same page now especially after
your comments below showing there no longer is a dependency from the
'message' package.

> At first, I was hesitating between either
> 'org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.model' or
> 'org.apache.directory.shared.ldap.model.url'.
>
> Are you picking 'message' because LdapUrl is somehow related to referrals?

Yep that was my motivation for selecting 'message'.

> I've just verified and none of the classes under the 'message' package uses
> LdapUrl (not even 'Referral').
> Other than that, I don't really see the link between the classes under this
> package and the LdapUrl class...

Oh that's a surprise to me - guess we may be calculating it then populating
with Strings. I thought there would naturally be a dependency there, my bad.

Best,
Alex