directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Filter parsing and values
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 13:01:46 GMT
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 1:35 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm facing an interesting issue. When we parse a filter, we build a Value
> which is a BinaryValue, even if the attribute is H/R. The problem is that we
> have to provide a getString() method which translates this byte[] when we
> want to process the Value.
>
> I tried to get rid of the getString() method in the StringValue class and
> getBytes() in BinaryValue, but I can't because of the above issue.
>
> Now, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to store a StringValue() when
> we parse a Filter, as a default value, excpet if the Filter is schema aware
> (which is not currently the case).

Most of the time ad hoc filters are string based. However we have seen
situations where they will be binary as well. As long as we're
interchangeable there should be no problem and since the binary case is the
exception then it makes sense using string values.

How we do this however is important since this impacts virtually everything
in the server.

Regards,
Alex