directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Shared] [Model] What was the reason for removing the schema entity interfaces like AttributeType?
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2011 16:12:15 GMT
On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 3/8/11 9:09 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> That's something I had also noticed a few weeks ago.
>> See [1].
>>
>> I wanted to decouple the SchemaObjects from the SchemaManager, but I guess
>> I ran into other work and couldn't complete it.
>>
>> AFAIR there are around 5 methods in the SchemaObject interface/abstract
>> class that needed to be removed and added in the SchemaManager utilities.
>> I'm not sure they are that much used outside of SchemaManager related
>> classes.
>>
>> On the lack of interfaces for schema objects, it's probably a little more
>> complex to move them back and requires more refactoring from depending
>> parts.

SNIP ...

> This was a choice, may be not the best one, but it helped me to get this
> refactoring done.

It's not important what's done is done. What can we learn from that is the
key. Having too many casts is not enough justification to remove these
interfaces.

> Remember that it took me 3 months to get the SchemaManager working fine in
> the server, with the extra benefit of being usable in Studio, even if
> Pierre-Arnaud has spent one week to get it working as expected for his need.

Not saying we did not have gains. You did some great work there. We just
want to maximize gains. This is not a crucifixion. We made a mistake, let's
learn from it and move on.  I should have been more vocal at that time but I
was not so I failed too just as much. But I am trying now. This is the best
we can all do.

No one can say we're perfect and we don't fall below optimal solutions. Yes
we fall short sometimes and make the wrong choices. This does not have any
moral connotation. All of us do that. The key is to learn from them and move
on.

So what did we learn from this? When in doubt leave the interface alone.
Additional casting or and extra Java files in a congested package is not
sufficient justification. We're not always going be able to work communally
on everything. Otherwise everyone needs to know everything about everything
right? So if we see each other learning together then we know we're healthy
which builds trust and confidence.

So let's carry on, this is not a crucifixion. Please let's not insinuate
that one of us is trying to hit others over the head with a club. That just
impedes constructive criticism which is important.

 No need to crucify anyone for such things.

Let's be exact here. Are you saying that you were crucified?

We can't have people accusing others of trying to crucifying people every
time they give constructive criticism to help put things on track.

I hope you understand where I am coming from here. I'm not trying to
belittle anyones involvement but just trying to increase efficiency. We have
lots of work to do so let's not be too sensitive and carry on with it.

Thanks,
Alex