directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pb with mvn eclipse:eclipse and -Dintegration
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:27:34 GMT
On 3/18/11 3:18 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> On 18 mars 2011, at 15:02, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm facing some painful problem with the last modifications made on the build system
: as the shared-integ is now depending on the -Dintegration profile to be present to be executed,
if you forget to provide this profile when doing a mvn eclipse:eclipse, the .classpath is
not generated correctly.

>> So now, to get all the module correctly imported in eclipse, you have to do :
>> mvn eclipse:eclipse -Dintegration
>>
>> Although I understand that it was mandatory to add this profile to get the site generated
and the release to be done, I think there are two problems with this approach :
>> - first, no one has been informed about this modification
> This has been discussed in this thread on the ML [1]. You probably didn't see it.

Yeah, my bad. I even remember that you asked me if I was able to run a
mvn site. I was working for a client the last two weeks, I most
certainly didn't pay enough attention to those mails.
>> - second, fixing an issue by creating a new one is not a solution.
> I don't think it created an issue, it's just something you need to know before generating
Eclipse files.
> Now, I understand it can become a problem when you're used to doing something else for
a long time, and having to specify to specify a specific profile can also be counter-intuitive.
It's an issue when you have to provide a profile which is useless when
generating the eclipse files : you are not splitting the project in two
areas, one for normal proects, and one for integration projects, when
injecting all of them in eclipse. It should be done in one pass with no
argument.

Adding the -Dintegration to mvn eclipse:eclipse is just a workaround,
and it's bad smell.

>> I'm not blaming anyone here, I just think that when someone is facing such an issue,
creating a JIRA is necessary to get everyone informed about the problem, and giving someone
an opportunity to track the problem and eventually fix it.
> I think we can rollback on the specific profile creation and go back with old system
where everything was generated without the need to add a specific profile.
> We'd then have to try to find another fix for the site generation issue which will block
further releases.

yes, probably better. I know it's a pain in the ass, and I hate such
problems, but frankly, we do mvn eclipse:eclipse way more than site
generation, and we have to get the frequent operations working as simply
as possible.

Ok, I created a JIRA so that we can track this problem down.

Thanks a lot guys !

--
Regards,
Cordialement,