directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <>
Subject Re: Serializers
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 21:51:08 GMT
I was a bit optimistic saying that we should merge the serializers with
the classes that are operating on : the problem is that if we do that,
we will have to call methods like :

Not very convenient. I think it's probably better to have an
EntryAtrributeSerializer helper class instead of static methods in
classes. As a matter of fact, for Entry, we may have bigger trouble :
should the methods be injected into DefaultEntry ? Or ClonedServerEntry
?  Or ImmutableEntry ? Or ClonedServerEntrySearch ? ...

See what I mean, I guess.

On 3/1/11 4:58 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Last week, I started to rewrite the serializers, creating some
> dedicated classes for each element needing to be serialized.
> Each class contains a serialize()/deserialize() method.
> I'm now wondering if it wound't be better to simply move those static
> classes into the main classes being serialized/deserialized. Alex does
> think so, and I'm on line whith his option.
> The reason why I created an additional class was to avoid modifying
> the main classes. Also not that the class implementing Externalizable
> will call those dedicated methods.
> Thoughts ?

Emmanuel L├ęcharny

View raw message