directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Shared 1.0.0-M1 and JUnit Add-ons 0.1
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2011 20:34:07 GMT
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Stefan Seelmann <seelmann@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> This is a vote for the first milestone release on our way to a Shared
> >> and LDAP API 1.0. Lot of cleanup and decoupling has already be done.
> >> Also bug fixes and improvements have been done. Please see the release
> >> notes below.
> >>
> >> The SVN tag:
> >> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/shared/tags/1.0.0-M1/
> >>
> >> The source and binary distribution packages:
> >> http://people.apache.org/~seelmann/shared-1.0.0-M1/
> >> The file names are prefixed with 'apache-ldap-api'.
> >
> > Why are they prefixed with apache-ldap-api?
>
> Hm, because logically those packages contain the LDAP API classes,
> right? I think at some point we also need to rename "shared" to
> "ldap-api" or something similar.

I thought shared will hold anything that is shared across our projects like
for example Kerberos APIs as well as LDAP and others. For now this name is
fitting since that's all we got.

Perhaps we need to break up shared into functional areas like LDAP and
Kerberos. Let's find out later when things do change.

> But you are right, at the moment the
> naming is not consistent. I can change it to 'shared-distribution' or
> something similar if you prefer.

No this is OK for now I just wanted to know the reasoning behind the
decision.

Thanks,
Alex