directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some more thoughts about the Dn class
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2011 20:02:09 GMT
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 4:50 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we have had some convo about the Dn methods last night. Here are some of the things we
discussed and came with :

> o the getPrefix(N)/getSuffix(N) are cumbersome, and not easy to manipulate. The main
issue is that they depend on the RDN order, which is the opposite as what people are used
to manipulate. Everytime you have to get a prefix from a Dn, you always wonder what the position
should be, and if it's 0 based or 1 based...

> We propose to replace those methods by getParent(Dn) and getDescendant(Dn). Let me give
you an example :

> // A DN
> Dn dn = new Dn( "cn=test,ou=server,ou=directory,dc=apache,dc=org" );
>
> // Get the right part (equivalent to getprefix( 2 ) )
> Dn parent = dn.getParent( "cn=test,ou=server,ou=directory" ); // returns "dc=apache,dc=org"
>
> // Get the left part (equivalent to getSuffix( 3 ))
> Dn descendant = dn.getDescendant( "ou=directory,dc=apache,dc=org" ); // returns "cn=test,ou=server"
>
> o The Add method is a bit annoying to remove, because first, the JNDI Name interface
has such a method, and people are used to it, second removing it means we have to add some
more constructors line Dn( Dn, Rdn... ). I agree that someone doing something like :

> Dn dn = new Dn( "dc=apache,dc=org" );
> dn.add( "ou=directory" );
>
> will expect that the dn is now "ou=directory,dc=apache,dc=org", when it's unchanged.
>
> This is really troublesome... What about rename it concatenate() ?
>
> Thoughts ?

Sounds good. But how about this:

// not showing full Rdn but an index value representing the actual
rdns in the dn for pos clarity
Dn dn = new Dn( “9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0” );

dn.getAncestorDn( “9, 8, 7, 6” );

=> “5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0”

dn.getAncestorDn( 6 );

=> “5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0”

dn.getDnToAncestor( “1, 0” );

=> “9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2”

dn.getDnToAncestor( 2 );

=> “9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2”

Dn namingContext = “1, 0”;

// all same below
Dn dnAfterNamingContext = dn.getDnToAncestor( "1, 0" );
Dn dnAfterNamingContext = dn.getDnToAncestor( namingContext );
Dn dnAfterNamingContext = dn.getDnToAncestor( namingContext.size() );
Dn dnAfterNamingContext = dn.getDnToAncestor( namingContext.toString() );

dnAfterNamingContext ===> “9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2”

Overloads should be provided for Dn, String and int.