directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Shared 1.0.0-M1 and JUnit Add-ons 0.1
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2011 19:31:46 GMT
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <> wrote:
> [X] +1 Release Shared 1.0.0-M1 and JUnit Add-ons 0.1
> I checked the source and binary distribution packages.
> The sources package looks good and built successfully via Maven.
> I was able to connect to ApacheDS via the libraries included in the binary
> distribution package and small hand-written class (written in less than a
> minute :) ).
> Now, a few points that need discussion and can probably be improved in the
> next milestone release:
> - I'm not sure the NOTICE file is completely OK and probably needs to
> contain a small text entry for each third party library.

Yes, that would probably be safer. The reason I only added the
reference to the 'licenses' directory was that we don't need to
maintain the NOTICE file entries twice. I'll think about a better
solution and 'll change that.

> - It may be interesting to use the Felix Bundle Maven plugin to make the
> 'shared-all' a real OSGI-ready bundle (It's a simple jar ATM).

> - It would be also interesting to bundle with the distribution the log4j
> dependency, just like we do for ApacheDS. I had to download this aside and
> add it to the build path to be able to work with the LDAP API.
>   I understand that we're using a logging "façade" (SLF4J) to allow the user
> to choose the implementation he prefers, but I think most users of the API
> won't know and don't care about it.
>   If we bundle log4j in the final distribution, the LDAP API can be used in
> one simple step and people willing to use their logger implementation of
> choice can easily remove the bundle log4j and add their own jar.

Damn. I added slf4j-log4j12 to the configuration of the
maven-dependency-plugin, however there transitive dependencies are not
resolved. I'll fix that.

Thanks for the heads up.

Kind Regards,

View raw message