directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Release fo shared
Date Sat, 12 Feb 2011 22:33:05 GMT
On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:42 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/11/11 8:29 AM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>>
>> - The shared-all jar includes all transitive dependencies (slf4j,

>> Still to do.
>
> More specifically, for shared, here is the list of external dependencies we
> use in shared :
>
> antlr 2.7.7 (http://www.antlr2.org/license.html)
> dom4j 1.6.1 (http://dom4j.sourceforge.net/dom4j-1.6.1/license.html)
> junit 4.8.2 (http://junit.sourceforge.net/cpl-v10.html)
> slf4j 1.6.1 (http://www.slf4j.org/license.html)
> xpp3 1.1.4c
> (http://caldersphere.rubyforge.org/jrexml/files/lib/xpp3_LICENSE_txt.html)
>
> I have added the given licences into the
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/shared/trunk/NOTICE?view=markup file.

Thanks.

I'm not sure when those notices should/must be added.

It's clear, when distributing a binary distribution (e.g.
ldap-api.zip) where third-party dependencies are included that the
licenses and notices of those third-party dependencies have to be
added.

But is the attribution also required in the JARs (both, binary or
source, there in META-INF/LICENSE and META-INF/NOTICE) that are
distributed via maven?  I see the following different cases:
1) In shared-ldap-model we use Antlr to generate Java files. So I
think in the distributed shared-ldap-model-X.Y.Z.jar the Antlr
attribution is required.
2) The common case that a 3rd-party libary is used/linked in main code
(e.g. dom4j or slf4j). Our distributed JAR only contains our
.java/.class files. The third-party jar is not redistributed. The
dom4j and slf4j licenses say that attribution is required in case the
software is 'used'. Does 'use' already include the case that their
classes are linked? But in that case we
3) Similar like 2, but the 3rd-party is only used as test dependency
(like junit). Here the code is not distributed at all.
4) 3rd-party source code is included (e.g. in apacheds/jdbm or in
junit-addons). Here it is clear that attribution is required.

In the default maven builld META-INF/LICENSE and META-INF/NOTICE are
genarated by the maven-remote-resources-plugin and they don't include
any attribution for cases #2 and #3. The trunk/NOTICE file is not
packaged into the JARs.

Thougths?

Kind Regards,
Stefan