directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [Shared] Thoughts on an M2 release?
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2011 04:01:49 GMT
Hi folks,

The tasks for making controls, extended operations and the protocol
codec factory totally pluggable are complete. I was just trying to add
a couple archetypes for creating new control or extended operation
projects. This might help us rapidly get setup to build new extended
operations and controls while also helping our API users. This is low
hanging fruit for now but the real work starts up again with making
schema's pluggable as bundles.

Before moving on to this which we can discuss in another thread, I
wanted to check and see if y'all want to push out another milestone
release? This way we get something into the hands of our users so we
can get feedback.

Also two other points.

(1) We should probably build out an example web application using the
LDAP API especially with all the Serializable removal work taking
place. It might help validate what we should and should not make
Serializable. Plus it might be a good application to show the API in
action. Perhaps like a little simple LDAP administrative application.
It can go into the manual or into the code examples. WDYT?

(2) Should we shoot for making the schema pluggable with schema
bundles? Right now it's already dynamic. I don't know just how much
value this adds but it would remove the need for schema dependency
checking by our own system, this would be delegated to the OSGi
container to determine what schemas a dependent schema depends on.
There are some other benefits around classloaders and isolating the
operation of loaded code. I could probably enumerate this better with
some sleep :).

Regards,
Alex