directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Shared] Decoupling SchemaObjects and SchemaManager/Registries classes
Date Fri, 04 Feb 2011 17:43:13 GMT
On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm currently trying to use the SchemaManager in Shared as a replacement to the existing
classes duplicating this functionality in Studio's Schema Editor.

> I successfully managed to integrate it within the plugin.
> However there are a few bugs/missing features I will need to address in the SchemaManager
to make it work perfectly (I already started with a better handling of schema checking exception).

Yep saw that.

> While I was doing this, I noticed a strong coupling between the SchemaObject classes
(AttributeType, ObjectClass, etc.) and the SchemaManager/Registries classes, with code related
to schema checking in the SchemaObject classes themselves.
> I think we should avoid this and move the code back to either SchemaManager or Registries.
> It would help if we need to isolate the model into a separate module.

I agree. It would be nice to have a simple POJI/POJO for the schema model.

However it's not going to be that easy due to the dense schema
interdependencies. I was starring at this the other day. It's tight in
there.

It's not only syntax (don't mean LDAP syntax here) driven dependencies
but also there are some semantics to this.

But it can be done. If you're interested I would be glad to assist.

> I'll try to work on that today, if there's no objection.

Nope, glad you're looking into it.

It may be a PITA to setup but if you run IDEA 10, there are some nice
dependency analysis tools built into the IDE that have been helping me
out.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Regards,
Alex