directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Concurrent classes in junit-addons
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 16:59:46 GMT
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecharny@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2/8/11 1:43 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny<elecharny@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:

>>> Go for it.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure we can drop Java 5 now, many users are still using it...
>>
>> One more reason why they should switch to Java 6. Java 5 is way slower.
>>
>> IMO we should not have to keep building for it. Java 7 is out. We're
>> supporting 6&  7.
>
> Frankly, I wish we can drop Java 5 completely, but I'm afraid it's still
> widely used in enterprises :
> http://www.theserverside.com/discussions/thread.tss?thread_id=61645
>
> Even if this poll is not realistic, it says that 34% of the companies are
> still using Java 5 :/ :
> "Question four: At work, what JVM do you target compilation for?
>
> Java 6 won again, with 247 responses (58%); Java 1.4 got 33 (8%), Java 5 got
> 146 (34%). One person said they used Retroweaver for clients with 1.4."

I hear you. I'd rather focus on the majority. And soon this will
change. By the time we're out the door with a GA it's not going to be
a matter of contention.

When hunting I always used to target slightly ahead of a running
animal. Why? Because I like killing bambi. Well you get my point ...

It's no sweat off my back because I'm just not dealing with the
overhead of this. Thought it might spare others managing it some pain.

Alex