directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Serialization/deserialization questions
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2011 12:22:06 GMT
Hi guys,

I'm reworking all the serializations for the base objects we are
manipulating. I have a few questions and I'd like to get you opinion.

The base idea is to get rid of all the Externalizable/Serializable
interfaces, and to provide our own helper classes to serialize the
objects we have to write down the disk. The rationnal is that we avoid
the cost of writing the useless java class informations, keeping the
written objects as small as possible, and the process as fast as possible.

Q1 : Do we have to store a version number into the written data ?
Q2 : I'm going to inject the SchemaManager in all the deserialized data
(it can be null, if the SchemaManager has not been created). Do you
think it's a problem ?
Q3 : In order to be able to create the object as it was when it was
serialized, I'll create package visible only constructors, with all the
needed parameters. Does it sounds the right approach ?

Thanks !

--
Regards,
Cordialement,