directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject DN serialization issues
Date Fri, 18 Feb 2011 18:17:20 GMT
Hi guys,

once upon a time, in order to improve the server permformance, the DN
was serialized with its normalized value. This was to avoid a costly
normalization when we pull back the DN from the backend. But now that we
don't store anymore the DN into the entry, it does not make any sense to
store the normalized DN.

We should get rid of that.

Another problem is that the LogManager also serialize entries with a
full DN on the disk, and when it reads them back, it should be able to
inject the schemaManager into the DN, which is not done.

All in all, the DnSerializer has nothing to do in the Ldap-API. It's a
Server thingy, as is the EntrySerializer. Moreover, the DefaultEntry
implements the Externalizable interface, but does also provides
serialize()/deserialize() methods, which export the RDN, not the DN,
simply because it's used only by the server.

This is a mess...

--
Regards,
Cordialement,