directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some more thoughts about the Dn class
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 13:00:21 GMT
On 2/17/11 1:27 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Emmanuel Lécharny<elecharny@apache.org>  wrote:
>> On 2/17/11 12:07 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>> getAncestorOf/getDescendantOf ? Or use getAscendant/getDescendant ?
>>> Yeah getAncestorOf/getDescendantOf sounds like it flows better and
>>> clarifies that we're taking this from the dn the operation is applied
>>> to.
>> I like it better too. Will rename to use those names.
> Well hold on a second with the getDescendantOf operation. I think we
> have some outstanding issues with it. Please see my previous post.

I'm not closing the door here. Here is what I suggest : I'll move the
API to use those name *for the moment*, in order to get rid of the old
getPrefix/getSuffix names, but we can discuss those names further until
the RC1. If we find a better name, I'll change them, it's a 5 mins task.
I'm *not* considering that as  final move, again.

What is important is really to reach a point we all more or less agree,
which is not easy, as it's not a technical matter, but much more a mix
of many concerns :
- semantic
- ease of use
- language (correct and accurate english)

We should not expect to get the API defintion to be a breeze, I'm not
really surprised that such things raise discussions like the one we are
having. Frankly, if we were in a room, all of us, it would be exactly
the same thing with people thinking this, other thinking that, etc, but
nobody would hear about those disagreements outside the room. We are
doing that in the open, and even if we don't agree on everything, at
then end the result will be the same : we will reach consensus, and we
will get something better than any decision made by one single person.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,