directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dn should probably not implement Comparable
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2011 21:53:56 GMT
On 2/15/11 9:52 PM, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 2:15 AM, Kiran Ayyagari<kayyagari@apache.org>  wrote:

>>> yes, but still it's not possible to compare 2 DNs with the same parent...
>>> CompareTo() for DNs simply does not make sense :)
>> hmmm, just wondering why can't we compare the normalized values(which
>> are strings) of two DNs
> by the above I mean for equality, and we have isParent() if it is
> higher in hierarchy and isChild() otherwise,
> I see that semantically it doesn't make *much* sense to say 'compare
> two DNs' but still we can *order* DNs and
> that is where this method is helpful
Let me give you an example.

You have two DN under the same parent, dc=example,dc=org :

dn1 : cn=test,dc=example,dc=org
dn2: telephoneNumber=+33 1 654 321 02,dc=example,dc=org

you have no clue about which DN is greater or lower than the other, as
the cn matching rule is CasIgnoreMatch and the TelephoneNumberMatch MR
is used for the second DN.

This is the reason whu comparing two DN to define an ordering is just vain.

--
Regards,
Cordialement,