directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Some inconsistencies in the DN class
Date Sun, 13 Feb 2011 11:23:44 GMT
Hi guys,

as I was writing some doco for the LDAP-API, I checked the DN class and
found some inconsistencies in the methods. For instance, we have various
constructors, that can be split in two sets :
- the Schema Aware DN constructors
- the Schema Agnostic DN constructors

1) Schema Aware constructors :
Dn(SchemaManager)
Dn(Dn, SchemaManager)
Dn(SchemaManager, String...)
Dn(String, SchemaManager)

1) Schema Agnostic constructors :
Dn()
Dn(Dn)
Dn(Rdn)
Dn(String)
*Dn(String, String, byte[])*  --> This constructor is only used by the
deserialization method
Dn(String, String, byte[], List<Rdn>)
Dn(String...)

As we can see, in the first set, we don't have the SchemaManager
parameter put always at the same position in the arguments list. I would
suggest that the Dn(Dn, SchemaManager) and Dn(String, SchemaManager)
constructors be replaced by
Dn(SchemaManager, Dn) and Dn(SchemaManager, String).

That raise a second issue : the Dn(SchemaManager, String...) and
Dn(SchemaManager, String) constructors will collide, but there is no
reason to have both. I suggest keeping only the Dn(SchemaManager,
String...) method.

For the exact same reason, I would remove the DN(String) constructor to
favor the DN(String...) one.

The Dn(String, String, byte[], List<Rdn>) constructor is only used
inside the server, and I don't think we really need it. I suggest to
remove it.

The package protected constructor Dn(String, String, byte[]) is also an
issue. There is no reason to expose it to the end user.

Last, not least, in order to have some symmetry between both classes of
constructor, I'd like to suggest we create a schema aware constructor :
Dn(SchemaManager, Rdn...)
and to transform the Dn(Rdn) constructor to Dn(Rdn...).

Thoughts ?

--
Regards,
Cordialement,