directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Concurrent classes in junit-addons
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2011 16:53:06 GMT
On 2/8/11 1:43 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny<elecharny@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 2/8/11 10:32 AM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>>> Obviously that won't work because JDK5 doesn't have a Java6 compiler.
>>>
>>> So what I would suggest is to copy the classes from [5] with the
>>> original package names and license/copyright headers to our
>>> junit-addons module. As the classes have the ALv2 license header we
>>> are safe to copy them. An advantage is that once we switch to Java6 we
>>> can drop those classes and use the com.mycila:mycila-junit dependency.
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>> Go for it.
>>
>> I'm not sure we can drop Java 5 now, many users are still using it...
> One more reason why they should switch to Java 6. Java 5 is way slower.
>
> IMO we should not have to keep building for it. Java 7 is out. We're
> supporting 6&  7.

Frankly, I wish we can drop Java 5 completely, but I'm afraid it's still
widely used in enterprises :
http://www.theserverside.com/discussions/thread.tss?thread_id=61645

Even if this poll is not realistic, it says that 34% of the companies
are still using Java 5 :/ :
"Question four: At work, what JVM do you target compilation for?

Java 6 won again, with 247 responses (58%); Java 1.4 got 33 (8%), Java 5
got 146 (34%). One person said they used Retroweaver for clients with 1.4."

--
Regards,
Cordialement,