directory-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Chu <...@symas.com>
Subject Re: [Informational] OpenLDAP Transactions
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 19:56:53 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> FYI
>
> Hurray! Our respected friends at OpenLDAP are completing the
> transaction spec. Nice to know of an existing implementation. Here's a
> recent thread that started up on it:
>
>     http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/201102/msg00005.html
>
> Would be interesting to see how their implementation of transactions
> combines with syncRepl now in the picture. Specifically, I'm wondering
> if replication will trigger on transaction boundaries, rather than on
> each change in the transaction. Also wondering how change sequence
> numbers will be impacted.

I'm wondering too! Many open questions with this spec. Though I'll note,
RFC4533 explicitly states (of syncrepl) "This protocol is not intended to be
used in applications requiring transactional data consistency." (Section 1.2)

If folks are looking for transactional consistency in replication, we should
probably develop a new spec to address that.
--
   -- Howard Chu