On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
On 1/5/11 5:13 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Alex Karasulu<akarasulu@apache.org>  wrote:

If this is the case then and the client API does not expose any other
shared interfaces then we're golden here.

OK just looked and this is not the case. The LDAP Client API pulls in and
exposes for starters things like Entry and DN and Cursor etc which pull in
other API elements in shared. So we're not golden unfortunately.

This is what I called the 'base elements'. And those guys are pretty stable :)

Most of them have been refactored 2 years ago and haven't changed a lot since then, hopefully !

Cursors have been refactored last year by Stefan too.

Yes these classes are solid but that's not my point. These classes are in the same module and often there are interdependencies between them and other classes.

The dependency web in shared ultimately exposes implementation classes. These stable classes and interfaces through the web of dependencies is pulling in not so stable dependencies.

The way we deal with this is by isolating it out and breaking apart the needless dependencies making the dependency picture very clear.

These 'base elements' (which I moved into an experimental ldap-model in my branch) are the public API elements in shared and in the ldap client. These interfaces are now distributed across multiple modules and have deps on implementation classes instead of being isolated.

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org