directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Considering rolling back
Date Sun, 30 Jan 2011 20:15:56 GMT
STATUS
-------------

All the projects should now compile. I am going through all the tests now
and will be re-applying Emmanuel's commits some of which were lost on a
merge conflict. After Emmanuel's changes, I will fix some of the issues
Stefan Seelmann discovered with the Control instances, and start making the
tests work again.

ROLLING BACK
------------------------

It seems people want to rollback the recent changes. There's more time
wasted on dealing with the complaints and ultimatums then solving the
problem. Instead we should work together and finish this. I'm open to all
suggestions.

Furthermore there should be no deadline imposed on anyone by anyone. Someone
is telling me tonight or no go. Since when do we start bossing people around
on this project? However I do understand this situation must improve soon
and will roll back myself if need be. Reason should prevail not panic.

I am making progress but if others are worried then, any progress in *code*
is no progress to the community. We have SVN and can go back to earlier
states any time we choose.

However can someone rationally inform me why we're so rushed?

Is a couple days going to make or break something I am unaware of?

I spent a lot of energy on this and it will result in many positive
consequences. However I am reluctant to continue if there will be social
uneasiness. So I will keep trying fully dedicated to this and we can see
where we are in the short term.

If this is not salvageable, then we can just move the current trunks into
branches, and place an older stable version of the trunk where trunk is
now.

There's no reason to get angry, or argue. A mistake was made doing something
this big in the trunk. People are on it full time trying to fix it. There
are ways to roll out too. We're not going to die here folks.

Thanks,
--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org