directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Maven 3.0 plugin dependencies
Date Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:23:05 GMT
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/27/11 10:57 AM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>>
>> Hi Emmanuel,
>>
>> we actually define the plugin versions in the 'project' POM's
>> pluginManagement section. I already updated the versions there some
>> days ago. So as soon as the other projects (shared, apacheds, studio)
>> use the new parent the new plugin versions are used.
>
> Sh*it, I forgot about it :) Though, we still have some plugins with a
> version defined in shared/pom.xml or apacheds/pom.xml.

Yes, we can remove those versions. The new M3 site plugin defines a
version resolution for reporting plugins [1], which was missing in the
former M2 reporting section.

>> The question is if it is good practice, as we need to release a new
>> 'project' POM quite often.
>
> Good question. Now, Alex has created a "meta" project, in trunks, and may be
> it's a good idea to move what we have in project there. (trunks links to all
> the projects, including Studio)

I don't think that's a good idea. The 'meta' project is only used to
aggregate all sub-projects into a single checkout and build. Whereas
the 'project' parent is used to inherits common properties like
mailing list, team, release profiles, etc. Inheritance and aggregation
are two different beasts [2].

> I'm not even sure that the Project project is such a good idea right now.
> I'm also wondering if we should not keep the dependencies in each
> sub-projects, as it's very likely we will release Shared/LdapAPI separately.

Dependency versions are defined in each sub-project's
dependencyManagement section, and that makes totally sense. But for
plugin versions I think we can use the 'project' parent.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin-3.0-beta-3/maven-3.html#Version_Resolution
[2] http://maven.apache.org/pom.html