directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OSGi] Shared bundles update
Date Sun, 16 Jan 2011 13:45:10 GMT
On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a question : as it seems pretty easy to OSGify shared, why don't we do
> the same for ApacheDS modules too ?

I agree however it might be best in steps because of issues with split
packages. OSGi does not allow for split packages: same package across
multiple bundles.

We might have to clean up a little to get this sorted out. But we
should get there nicely. Here's what I am thinking WRT to this
refactoring OSGi path:

(1) Get shared converted into bundles AS-IS without refactoring too much
(2) Setup Studio to use these bundles directly instead of indirectly
as artifacts to facilitate easy refactoring that propagates changes in
IDEs from shared to Studio code using shared.
(3) Start refactoring shared to make it follow OSGi conventions and
just get a solid layered dependency architecture to packages: bottom
layers have no deps on higher layers, and remove all cycles between
packages where needed. Refactoring propagates into Studio code using
shared, removing need for Studio folks to manually make changes.
(4) Get 1.0.0-M1 out in first sprint.
(5) Perform non-invasive refactorings of ApacheDS to as much as
possible enable simple conversion into bundles as we just did in #1.
(6) Make studio depend on ApacheDS bundles.
(7) Refactor ApacheDS bundles to follow OSGi good practices and standards.
(8) Get 2.0.0-M1 of ApacheDS out.

Overlay this strategy with the other objectives for M1 releases.  WDYT?

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org