directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ADS 2.0 : what, how and when?
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:33:42 GMT
On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1/5/11 5:13 PM, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Alex Karasulu<akarasulu@apache.org>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>  If this is the case then and the client API does not expose any other
>>> shared interfaces then we're golden here.
>>>

>>>  OK just looked and this is not the case. The LDAP Client API pulls in
>> and
>> exposes for starters things like Entry and DN and Cursor etc which pull in
>> other API elements in shared. So we're not golden unfortunately.
>>

> This is what I called the 'base elements'. And those guys are pretty stable
> :)
>
> Most of them have been refactored 2 years ago and haven't changed a lot
> since then, hopefully !
>
> Cursors have been refactored last year by Stefan too.

Yes these classes are solid but that's not my point. These classes are in
the same module and often there are interdependencies between them and other
classes.

The dependency web in shared ultimately exposes implementation classes.
These stable classes and interfaces through the web of dependencies is
pulling in not so stable dependencies.

The way we deal with this is by isolating it out and breaking apart the
needless dependencies making the dependency picture very clear.

These 'base elements' (which I moved into an experimental ldap-model in my
branch) are the public API elements in shared and in the ldap client. These
interfaces are now distributed across multiple modules and have deps on
implementation classes instead of being isolated.

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org